Sunday, May 4, 2008

So Long, Farewell.......and whatever the next line of that song is

Grandma and Grandpa Whetten came to visit the grandkids this weekend. They have been in Mexico for the past few weeks and will be leaving in the next month for the MTC and then to Panama City, Panama to serve in the new temple there. Grandpa Whetten has been called to the temple presidency.
We took them to Old Mesilla
and coincidentally they were having a big fiesta in honor of Cinco de Mayo. There was a ton of yummy mexican food, many booths with fun things to buy
and a group of dancers from the local university.It was so festive. I will miss this kind of thing when we move from El Paso.
I also found out something interesting about Old Mesilla. I knew that it was older than Las Cruces (which is a very old city that existed before the U.S. existed), and that Billy the Kid was tried and sentenced to hang there. However, I didn't know that the Gadsden purchase was signed there. This is the treaty that made Southern New Mexico U.S. territory. Conal and I both love history and thought that was really cool.
Hasta la vista y buena suerte Grandma and Grandpa Whetten!

3 comments:

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

That looks sooo fun! Wish I could go to that festival!! So have they left this morning?

Renee said...

...auf Wiedersehen, good night!

hee hee! That looks like such a fun place to be on Cinco de Mayo! We went to a Kearns festival...not quite a cinco de mayo event. :) I bet the kids were really excited to see their grandparents!

BTW...YOU look FABULOUS! You are such a cute prego woman!

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

So long, farewell. . . get the h-e-double l out of my house. . . JUST KIDDING!