I am now realizing that I am going to have a hard time keeping this post a reasonable length. It wasn't easy dragging all of the kids everywhere and keeping them from touching everything but it was SO worth it. I learned so many new things even though I have been to Kirtland before and we had such an amazing experience.
First we went to the John Johnson farm in Hiram, Ohio.
This is where Joseph and Emma lived for over a year. Several sections of the Doctrine and Covenants were received in this little farm house, in a room on the second floor which they call the revelation room. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Joseph saw the Savior here as well.
This is also where Joseph was tarred and feathered in the middle of the night and as a result of the cold one of their twins passed away. I have gained a greater appreciation for this story since I've lived through a midwest winter!
Then we went over to the Kirtland Temple.

I don't want to pick on the Community of Christ church, but I have to say that the feeling at the Kirtland temple (owned by the Community of Christ) and the feeling at the other places we visited in Kirtland (owned by the LDS church) was completely different. To help with this I tried to remember how many sacrifices had to be made by the saints (Conal's and my own ancestors included), and that this was at one time a dedicated House of the Lord.
Next we headed over to the Newel K. Whitney store. This was so different than the last time I was there! The whole area has been restored and looks like a mini Nauvoo and they now have a vistors' center. I LOVED it!
This is the creek that they used to baptize new members in. Conal and I wonder if Edwin D. Wooley (my great great great grandfather) was baptized here as he became a member of the church while living in East Rochester, Ohio which is about 90 miles outside of Kirtland.
The first bishop's storehouse:
Thank you to the two cute and PATIENT sister missionaries who were our tour guides.
Oh man! Now I want to go back. I love church history. Anyone up for a church history tour?
3 comments:
A church history tour is on our list in the next two years! I can't wait! You look good girl - - skinny minnie!
WOW!!! That is so very cool...all of it, but especially the personal connections! I can't get enough of the little details of church history. Oh, I hope Kelly has to go to Chicago soon... :)
BTW, you're friend, Carrie, is right, you look great!
I too luff Kirtland! It's so cool. I just wanna say I saw these pictures forever ago and didn't leave a comment- I don't know why. Oh yes wait, I do know why- because my computer is a piece of CRAP and it won't open comments half the time. Yeesh. Now I have Jeff's laptop :).
Post a Comment