Friday, January 16, 2009

SNOW DAY! (ok actually just a cold day.....but they did cancel school!)

Let us reminisce. Didn't you just LOVE snow days! It was so awesome to get an unexpected day off from school. Garrison and Hailey have been off the last two days. I guess you could say they called a "cold day" and cancelled school. I'm sure that was a wise decision as the windchill was at times, 35 degrees BELOW zero. BRRRRRR. I've never seen this before:
It may look like the ice is on the outside of the window, but no, it is on the inside. We took that picture for some of our El Paso friends who didn't believe that there is ice on the inside of the windows. ha ha
So, to keep ourselves entertained, we thought we would do some cold weather experiments and debunk or prove some cold weather myths.
First, we tried the yarn trick. Here is the before picture:
And here is the after picture, meaning after we soaked it in water and I stood outside with it for about a minute:
I know, I know. You are SO impressed.
Next, we have the freezing water trick. Before:
And after: Have you ever wondered if it is true that if it is super cold outside and you throw water in the air that it will be frozen by the time it hits the ground? Nope. Sorry folks. Maybe it has to be colder than -17. I was pretty disappointed. It did however start to freeze with in a few seconds of being on the ground.
And that is where our experiments ended. Why you ask? Because I asked Garrison to gently toss the water in the air for the experiment so I could take a picture, but instead he accidentally threw a bunch of it in my face and hair. Well, air and hair do rhyme. I guess that is a mistake anyone could make. Anyway, I didn't think it was such a good idea to be outside with water on my face and in my hair. I have heard that if you have water in your hair and it freezes that your hair will break off in your hand. Sorry people---I'm not willing to go that far in the name of science!
Oh and by the way, Conal and I tried the water in the air experiment last night too. It didn't work then either. We did feel a little crazy and wild though since we went out to do it in our shirt sleeves and Conal even had bare feet. What can I say? We like living on the wild side.

2 comments:

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

Hee hee I never heard of the yarn trick. These are awesome. Keep 'em coming. Go try the bubbles one for me, will ya?

Jen said...

I've never heard of the yarn trick either. That's pretty impressive. What you may be able to do is get out your water hose and hose down the driveway. Then the kids can play slip n' slide. Just make sure all appropriate gear is worn in case of an accident! If your driveway goes downhill, scratch the whole idea!