Sunday, December 13, 2009

Thanksgiving, and finding our roots

Grandma and Grandpa came out for Thanksgiving and Garrison's baptism. It's a good thing they made it. Garrison had been talking about it since they left in September!
Well, I have to admit it. I took the lazy-man's way out (again!) this year. We went out to eat for Thanksgiving. When I don't have a 3 year old climbing the stove and table when I'm cooking, an 8, 6 and 4 year old running through the kitchen, and a 1 year old clinging to my leg, spending 4 hours in the kitchen will actually be enjoyable instead of torture! This way I didn't have to cook OR clean. I just got to enjoy with the fam.





After Thanksgiving dinner we headed out to a nearby cemetery. I know, its a weird Thanksgiving activity. However, we recently found out that Conal's great great grandfather and great great great grandfather used to live here in Plainfield. Not just the Chicago area which is huge. Plainfield. We were shocked. His great great great grandfather apparently built the first frame house in the Chicago area and is buried a couple of miles away from our home.

Isn't that crazy? Since we received our orders to move here we found out that my great grandmother served her mission here in the early 1900's and Conal's great great grandfather lived here for a while. Conal's great great grandfather, Ezra T. Clark founded the city of Farmington. The next time you are in Farmington, go to the city park and check out the monument.

My great great great grandfather used to live in Nauvoo and crossed the plains to Utah. I wonder if our ancestors are sitting up in Heaven thinking "What are they doing? We LEFT Illinois for Utah and they went BACK!" ha ha.

3 comments:

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

Dude it seems like everywhere you guys go you've got an awesome story to tell, don't you think?

annette said...

That is really great history there. I love any ancestor story and that is a good one.

dena4kids said...

That is cool! My ancestors were just lazy!=)